Our Company is currently seeking self-motivated, hardworking Intermediate or Senior level Civil Engineerto join our Winnipeg office. This is an excellent growth opportunity for someone who is looking to apply his or her knowledge to support current work, and expand MCW’s service offering.
Position: Civil Engineer
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Responsibilities: The Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide leadership in Civil Engineering and construction support services to Electrical Utility Clients for new and existing substations, transmission and distribution facilities.
- Compute load and grade requirements, water flow rates, and material stress factors to determine design specifications.
- Prepare civil underground and storm water management drawings and specifications for buildings, structures, parking areas, and inform on roof drainage systems.
- Provide scope of work and specifications to external geotechnical engineers when required to obtain engineering direction, tests, measurements, reports, and design details for related civil designs.
- Meet with clients and stake holders, including land owners, Department of Highways, Municipal Government, First Nations, Fisheries, etc. as required to complete design assignments.
- Participate in diverse project teams including provincial, municipal and city road and highway departments, developers, line contractors, surveyors and other stakeholders.
- Arrange for topographical and legal surveys as required.
- Negotiate variances with the Authority Having Jurisdiction
- Provide construction documents and applications for private approaches
- Inspect project sites to monitor progress, prepare field reports, and ensure conformance to design specifications, safety or sanitation standards.
- Develop plans, specifications and detailed design deliverables for civil/structural works including drainage, structures and foundations, of overhead and underground transmission electrical utility substation facilities, and distribution facilities. Facilities may include detailed design of open trench cuts, and horizontal directional drilling under highways/roads and 3rd party utilities, river and creek crossings, bridge crossings, rail, transmission line and pipeline crossings. Designs will include civil foundation detailing, structural steel detailing, drainage plans, fencing, grading plans, access road development, conduiting and duct banks, and control building foundation/specifications in accordance with relevant building codes.
- Direct/interpret structural analysis reports prepared by modellers in PLS-CADD and provide guidance on foundation and structural elements for overhead pole line and non-standard pole designs.
- Support mentorship and development of junior staff and technicians, to ensure high standards of quality.
- Prepare estimates of materials, labour and cost to varying levels of accuracy for civil designs from feasibility through to pre-construction.
- Work within a variety of drawing managements systems as determined by MCW and their clients.
- Work with company and client standards as applicable.
- Direct construction, operations, and maintenance activities at project site.
- Perform all duties accurately and efficiently in order to deliver quality product/service on schedule.
- Periodic travel to work sites for varying periods of time in order to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Civil Engineering Degree from an accredited institution with four or more years of related work experience as a licensed engineer.
- Licensed to practice professional engineering in the Province of Manitoba by EGM.
- Eligible to be licensed, or licensed to practice professional engineering in the Province of British Columbia (EGBC).
- Must possess a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with clients and co-workers in clear, concise, and courteous fashion.
- Demonstrated successful flexibility in handling multiple assignments with changing priorities.
- The ideal candidate demonstrates a high energy level, is motivated and a team player.
- Strong software skills are a key requirement, along with proficiency in mechanics of materials, applied physics and a good understanding of electrical utility practices.
- Demonstrated experience engineering underground civil works including electrical utility junction boxes, manholes, pull-pits, direct buried and concrete encased duct banks.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite Package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
- Proven ability to meet deadlines/successful completion of deliverables.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Team and client-focused, with excellent leadership capabilities.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to work under pressure
It would be advantageous if the candidate has:
- Experience analyzing survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects.
- Familiarity with horizontal directional boring equipment and techniques, space constraints, and staging requirements.
- Experience working with Utility Geographic Information Systems (GIS) based applications such as GE Small World or derivatives of same.
- Familiarity with utility enterprise software systems such as SAP, Manitoba Hydro RUCES and/or BC Hydro’s Passport systems.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD software.
- Working knowledge of PLS-CADD software.
- Traffic engineering experience.
- Experience performing clearance zone assessments.
- Experience working in an engineering services environment
- Experience marketing Civil Engineering services to architects, developers, facility owners and utilities.
In order to be successful in this position, the incumbent will be expected to possess the following competencies:
Achievement Orientation – Focusing efforts on achieving high quality results to help others meet and exceed the organization’s standards
Attention to Detail – Working in a conscientious, consistent and thorough manner in order to recognize less obvious information
Teamwork – Working collaboratively with others to foster teamwork and achieve organizational goals
Using Information Technology – Using software and information technology to compliment one’s base knowledge in cases where limited information and resources are available to accomplish one's work
Resilience – Remaining energized and focused in the face of occasional ambiguity, change or strenuous work demands
Planning and Organizing – Developing, implementing, evaluating and adjusting own plans and activities to reach goals, while ensuring the optimal use of resources
Initiative – Dealing with situations and issues proactively and persistently by identifying the immediate action needed and seizing the opportunities that arise
Information Management – Demonstrating basic knowledge and ability and, with guidance using appropriate procedures to collect, organize, retrieve, maintain and disseminate information
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MCW Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employe
Submit Your Resume
MCW offers competitive salaries, performance bonuses, health, dental, life benefit plans and other benefits. We appreciate the opportunity to review your resume and your interest in MCW. We maintain a copy of your resume on file for a period of six months in the event a suitable opportunity should arise. Please continue to check back on MCW's Career Page for upcoming and exciting job opportunities.
*denotes required field
Thank you for submitting your resume.