The Toronto office is seeking a Project Accountant to join our team! The Project Accountant will work closely with the Accounting team as well as Project Managers to manage the project billing process, monitor the progress of the project, investigate variances, apply expenses and ensure that project billings are issued to customers and payments are reconciled in accordance with established accounting standards and company policies. The project accountant will also perform month end and year end accounting functions as required.
Position: Project Accountant
Location: Toronto, Ontario
The responsibilities of this position include (but not limited to):
- Communicate with Project Managers (PM) regarding contract documents, change orders and other contract modifications, approvals, and any additional services-related to billing.
- Coordinate with PM and maintain required folders for all projects with all the appropriate documents, as well as the on-line copies of original contracts, amendments and additional services.
- Set up projects and monitor projects for completeness and accuracy (work breakdown structures, fee types, authorizations etc.) May require reviewing the client contract.
- Process project expenses by obtaining approvals, checking contract files to determine whether the expense is reimbursable
- Ensure employee timesheets are completed to facilitate the monthly billing process
- Review projects, make transfers of employee billable hours and/or expenses if necessary
- Process client billings from billing sheet markups provided by Project Managers
- Prepare final invoices and submit to clients based on client specific instructions, with invoice copies saved in the client file and project file
- Review monthly and project to date gross margin reports and research any unbilled issues to optimize the billing possibilities for the billing period
- Investigate, initiate discussion and/or support Project Managers as needed to review project performance including variance, profitability, utilization, and other key performance metrics.
- Perform quantitative analysis of operational initiatives (revenue, direct costs, labour costs) and reporting for Senior Management.
- Prepare special project analyses and related reports for PMs and others as required.
- Ensure billings and associated sales taxes are properly accounted for during month end analysis
- Work with the cash receipts team member(s) to reconcile variances that occur in the application of cash.
- Write off any uncollectible receivables per company accounting policy.
- Provide year-end support to accounting team, which may include research and reconcilement.
- Analyze processes, procedures and working practices to identify and implement improvements to the billing cycle to increase efficiency, and maximize client billing.
- Participate in the development and execution of standards and practices relating to key performance indicators.
- Coordinate with PM’s to continue developing the forecasting Dashboard
Qualifications, Experience and Education:
- Post-secondary education in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business, or a related field
- 3-5 years of experience in project accounting or comparable role
- Experience in a professional services environment such as Engineering, Legal, Urban Planning, Construction, Development or a related industry, is preferable.
- Ability to interpret business and financial information to support decision making with quantitative analysis
- Ability to think critically with a solutions-based approach
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required
- Previous hands on experience with InFocus or similar accounting program would be an asset
- In-depth knowledge of MS Excel, including pivot tables, lookups, and logic-based formulas
- Strong attention to details and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects while coping with competing priorities
- Ability to lead and facilitate employee training and meetings with management
- Ability to effectively communicate with various technical and managerial professionals
- Flexible personality suited for working in a changing work environment
The ideal candidate:
- Is well organized, proactive, and hard-working and should be able to multi–task in a fast–paced environment.
- Has strong organizational and planning skills with prioritizing and multi-tasking abilities to meet time sensitive deadlines
- Has excellent attention to detail, is eager to learn and is comfortable communicating with various departments within the company and levels of the organization
- Is flexible to work outside of core hours when business needs dictate
- Possesses a high degree of integrity, honesty and commitment to professionalism
Job Specific Competencies:
Analytical Thinking – Analyzing and synthesizing complex situations and information to understand issues identify options and support sound decision making.
Attention to Detail – Working in a conscientious, consistent and thorough manner.
Client Focus – Provides added value through service excellence to internal and/or external clients.
Continuous Learning – Identifying and addressing learning and developmental needs to enhance own performance.
Initiative – Dealing with situations and issues proactively and persistently, seizing opportunities that arise.
Information Gathering and Processing – Locating and collecting data from appropriate sources and analyzing it to prepare meaningful and concise reports that summarize the information.
Problem Solving – Identifying problems and the solutions to them.
Resilience – Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
Results Management – Organizes time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effect and efficient way.
Teamwork – Working collaboratively with others to achieve organizational goal
Note: Working remotely is temporary requirement due to COVID-19.
Interested applicants please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Please include the position title and office location in the subject line of your email.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MCW Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. MCW Group of Companies welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Submit Your Resume
MCW offers competitive salaries, performance bonuses, health, dental, life benefit plans and other benefits. We appreciate the opportunity to review your resume and your interest in MCW. We maintain a copy of your resume on file for a period of six months in the event a suitable opportunity should arise. Please continue to check back on MCW's Career Page for upcoming and exciting job opportunities.
*denotes required field
Thank you for submitting your resume.