Sustainability Co-op Student
Since 1964 the MCW Group has built a solid reputation for the delivery of Professional Consulting Engineering Services, Energy Management Services, and Engineering Development Services.
The systems designed by the MCW Group of Companies are built to deliver energy effectively in the form of lighting, heating and cooling, as well as information in the form of voice and data. By the very nature of the solutions provided, the MCW Group of Companies help to create the environments required for Clients to live, educate, work, play and heal.
We have created for our clients the largest block of verified carbon emissions savings of any Canadian consulting firm. For more than two decades MCW Consultants Ltd., and its sister company, MCW Custom Energy Solutions Ltd. have been providing sustainable building designs with the goal to permanently reduce our clients' environmental footprint and create sustainable communities.
For further Information please check out our website: www.mcw.com.
Our Company is currently seeking a self-motivated, hardworking Sustainability Co-op Student to join our Toronto office. Located just minutes from Union Station, this is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking to grow and develop their professional career in the sustainability industry. The ideal candidate demonstrates a strong aptitude to learn, is interested in pursuing a career in green building services and is willing to take on responsibility as his/her experience progresses.
Position: Sustainability Co-op Student
Objective: The candidate will be a key member of the Energy Modelling Sustainable Design Services Department, reporting to the Manager. The successful candidate will provide LEED project management for new and existing buildings, as well as assist in the preparation of detailed, whole-building energy models.
Start Date: January 7 2019
Duration: 4 month Co-op Term
Responsibilities: The Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Management and delivery of LEED coordination for New Construction, ExistingBuildings and Commercial Interiors projects
- Review of the building design documents to determine the feasibility for projects to achieve various LEED credits, preparation of LEED assessment reports. Monitor field work to ensure that all measures, plans, processes are being followed on site and are in accordance with LEED requirements
- Complete site reviews to confirm LEED requirements are being met.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders on creative sustainable design solutions for LEED projects
- Provide technical support and feedback to project teams during project design and construction
- Prepare green building-related reports and presentations
- Assist in the development of representative simulation models of HVAC and lighting systems to accurately estimate energy consumption and demand in commercial, residential and institutional buildings
- Assist in the preparation of energy model reports for Site Plan Applications, Building Permit Applications, LEED submissions and incentive applications
- Overtime as required
Education & Experience:
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary program in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or Architecture
- LEED AP is an asset
- Experience working in a consulting environment or in a field complimentary to green buildings or energy management is an asset
- Experience working with clients. Possess the ability to build long lasting relationships with clients and other key players
- An understanding of building systems and the design and construction process
- The ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Experience working in a team based environment with a deadline oriented culture
- Experience with energy and daylight is an asset
- Experience with thermal modeling of the building envelope is an asset
- A self-starter with the ability to produce and implement creative and innovative solutions
- Detail oriented and capability for strategic thinking
- A basic understanding of LEED and its application in new buildings and existing buildings as well as commercial fit-outs
- Should have a good understanding of mechanical and electrical building systems, energy systems, energy project implementation, and the building construction process
- Should have an understanding of building science principles
- Proficiency with Microsoft office suite
- Good foundation of HVAC design and experience in controls and commissioning would be an asset
- Experience with eQuest, IES <VE>, Trace and HAP would be an asset
- Graphics/presentation experience would be beneficial
In order to be successful in this position, the candidate will be expected to possess the following competencies:
Creativity and Innovation- Generating viable, new approaches and solutions
Attention to Detail- Working in a conscientious, consistent and thorough manner
Client Focus- Providing service excellence to internal and/or external clients
Continuous Learning- Identifying and addressing learning and development needs to enhance own performance
Analytical Thinking- Analyzing and synthesizing information to understand issues, identify options, and support sound decision making
Initiative- Dealing with situations and issues proactively and persistently, seizing opportunities that arise
Interactive Communication- Listening to others and communicating articulately, fostering open communication
Problem Solving-Identifying problems and the solutions to them
Writing Skills - Ability to communicate ideas and information in writing to ensure that information and messages are understood and have the desired impact
Resilience- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous work demands
Interested applicants please send your application to email@example.com including the position title in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MCW Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit Your Resume
MCW offers competitive salaries, performance bonuses, health, dental, life benefit plans and other benefits. We appreciate the opportunity to review your resume and your interest in MCW. We maintain a copy of your resume on file for a period of six months in the event a suitable opportunity should arise. Please continue to check back on MCW's Career Page for upcoming and exciting job opportunities.
*denotes required field
Thank you for submitting your resume.