The University of Guelph Energy Performance Contract, GU
Project Initiated In:
Scope of Project:
62 Buildings - 8.1 Million Square Feet
Annual Energy Savings:
Annual GHG Emissions Reductions:
4,700 Tonnes eCO2
The University of Guelph is proud of its history of building, maintaining and operating the best possible campus for its community to live, learn and grow. This includes a focus on resource use in an effort to reduce expenditures, carbon emissions and water usage.
The University’s current energy project – “The Green Gryphon Initiative” – is a $26.2 million investment in sustainability and energy improvements. The project includes many innovative and challenging measures, including a campus chilled water Thermal Energy Storage System - one of the largest utilities projects ever undertaken at the University.
The Green Gryphon Initiative is delivered in partnership with MCW Custom Energy Solutions under an Energy Performance Contract (EPC), wherein MCW provides a guarantee on the total Project Cost and annual Savings over the entire term of the Project.
- A new Thermal Energy Storage system that will meet all of the campus' cooling requirements and reduce peak summertime load electricity demand by up to 5MW. The system uses a 22 million litre chilled water thermal energy storage tank connected to the Campus’ chilled water network. The TES system's tank is charged at night by the chillers, when electricity prices are at their lowest. The chilled water is then ready the next morning for discharge to meet the Campus cooling loads.
- Extensive LED lighting retrofits and lighting controls upgrades, particularly in the Gryphon Centre Athletic Building, where lighting loads were reduced by over 50% while simultaneously improving light level flexibility for indoor sporting activities.
- The project is part funded by University of Guelph's Student Energy Retrofit Fund of $10 per student, per term - a contribution matched by the University on a 1-to-1 basis.
- The student-driven Energy Awareness Campaign - The Green Gryphon Initiative - adds visibility to the project and helps build a culture of energy conservation on campus among students, faculty, and the broader campus community
- MCW also supports other Green Gryphon Initiative projects on campus such as the Raithby House rooftop Solar PV installation and a Bike Shelter complete with a green roof.
Re: MCW Projects Information Request
Energy Performance Contract, GU
First name is required.
Last name is required.
Email is required.
Please enter valid email address.
Message is required